Friday, October 17, 2008

"its an adventure!"

Okay so we haven't even left yet and we're already having glitches in our trip to Belize (we're leaving tomorrow at 9am)....
Just now I received this email from Black Rock Lodge, which is where we're supposed to stay tomorrow night:

Hi Karrie,This is Estelle from Black Rock Lodge with a Little bad news. We have been having a lot of rain for the past few days due to the Tropical Depression that just passed us by and our roads are flooded and impassable at the moment. We are trying to avoid any harm coming to our guest on their vacation and telling you that you wont be able to make it to Black Rock tomorrow.We are hoping the water goes down by Sunday and the roads should be fine but we will definitely be in touch to let you know.I have to tell you that the same situation exists for Placencia as of right now. We will have our driver meet you at the airport tomorrow because we don’t want you to be stranded there. I have looked into couple places for you to stay the night and hopefully be able to come to us on Sunday. There is Martha’s Guest House in San Ignacio. They have a standard room with a fan that goes for USD $43.60 a night tax included and an air conditioned room that goes for USD $54.50 a night tax included. There is also this place by the river that’s called Table Rock which is very nice. Their rates are a bit more higher. You can actually look them up on the internet and see what it looks like. Their website is www.tablerockbelize.com. I am so sorry for the inconvenience but will definitely keep you informed about the flooding situation. If you have an international cell phone that you will be using can you let me have the number so that we will be able to be in touch over the weekend. All My Best,Estelle Martinez Black Rock Lodge

I would say impassible flooded roads is a little more than "a little bad news." Thanks to their super customer service we are staying at www.tablerockbelize.com Saturday night, which looks equally as wonderful as black rock lodge. Phew, I had a little panic attack, and the BF is stuck at work tonight so I'm left to make the decision as to where we'll stay tomorrow. Of course I have great taste, so I picked the more extravagant one :)

Unfortunately the whole reason we are staying in the rain forest is to go hiking at the ATM cave http://belizex.com/tunichil_muknal.htm but it is flooded as well! Hopefully by Sunday or Monday the storm will have passed and we'll still be able to make our trip to the cave. If not, its off to Placencia for some quality beach time. As my mother always said when things went awry "its an adventure" and I have a feeling, just by the way things are starting out, that I'm going to keep repeating that to myself throughout this trip. it will be interesting to see how the BF and I get along under some unplanned, possibly stressfull circumstances....

1 comment:

Pete-za said...

oh noooo. that totally blows. it'll all work out. I'm sure you guys are having a great time.