Thursday, October 2, 2008

Its all greek to me

Today was just another typical day at work where we all mess with people's hearts in the effort to make them work more efficiently. I spent four hours today watching doctors thread catheters, wires, stents, balloons in to the arteries of the heart. It was amazing but all I could think of was how bad my feet and back hurt because not only was I standing for the entire time in a room that felt like it was below zero, but i also had a 30 lb lead gown on from neck to knees.

So instead of blindly threading this wire through your femoral artery, they do it under xray and fluoroscopy. Which means they are staring at a camera while manipulating the equipment in the patient. I hope I never have to get this done because you're awake during the whole thing! AND the docs kind of forget you're there (yes I said that) and fight with each other, talk about really inappropriate things, flirt with the cute nurses, and teach the newbies how to do it. I would be so nervous hearing them tell the other what to do, I would kind of want to say "hey aren't' you supposed to know this before you go poking around in my heart!?!" But we're a "teaching hospital" so its expected. Writing this doesn't do it justice, it really is crazy how many interventions can be done to the heart without totally messing things up. Can you tell I totally love my job?

No comments: